OBJECTIVE: Demonstrate my ability to:
- Apply knowledge of language structure, language conventions (e.g., spelling and punctuation), media techniques, figurative language, and genre to create, critique, and discuss print and nonprint texts
- Develop an understanding of and respect for diversity in language use, patterns, and dialects across cultures, ethnic groups, geographic regions, and social roles.
- Create and adapt a literary piece (poem, narrative, etc.) into a animated short
BACKGROUND: Haiku is a form of Japanese poetry consisting of 17 moras (syllables) in three metrical phrases ; 5, 7, and 5 moras respectively. Haiku typically contain a kigo (seasonal reference), and a kireji (cutting word).In Japanese, haiku are traditionally printed in a single vertical line and tend to take aspects of the natural world as their subject matter, while haiku in English often appear in three lines to parallel the three phrases of Japanese haiku and may deal with any subject matter.[Via Wikipedia]
ASSIGNMENT: Create an animated representation of your own Haiku. Remember that Haiku lends itself beautifully to sequenced art work and motion. Think visually about the space around you and use this as inspiration for your very own Haiku!
STEP ONE: Create a storyboard for one of the following Haiku. When complete, turn it in for credit.
Panda bears are best
Served with a side of whale fat
Extinction tastes good
Tiny toaster gnomes
Burning sinister wheat bread
Please pass the butter
You terrify me
Sneaking around in the dark
Go away Grandma!
I am bloody full
Way too much fettucini
Sorta want to hurl
We all live then die
Just what is this crazy plan
Give me the remote
You are beautiful
My sweet sweet muffin of love
Do you have the time?
Five bowls of chili,
Internal pressure building…
Pull my finger now!
STEP TWO: Create your own Haiku that will will animate. When complete, bring it to me for approval.
- Approved Haiku (signed off by me!)
- TRT :30
- Haiku text creatively incorporated into the animation
- Musical score (Using GarageBand or Logic)
- Intro/outro title cards (5 sec. max each)
- Export QuicktTime